Main Purpose & Scope of the Job
The Assistant Chef will assist the Executive Chef with daily activities of the Kitchen, including menu development, inventory, purchasing of supplies, and cost control. He/she will also be responsible for the production and presentation of pastries, desserts, bread and other baked products.
Key Responsibilities for this Post
- Decorate pastries using different icings, toppings etc. to ensure the presentation will be beautiful and exciting
- Creating new and exciting desserts to renew our menus and engage the interest of customers.
- Operating and managing the pastry section of the kitchen and liaising with the executive and sous chefs to ensure a successful working environment.
- Preparing ingredients and handling baking and other kitchen equipment.
- Creating pastries, baked goods, and confections, by following a set recipe.
- Developing new recipes for seasonal menus.
- Decorating pastries and desserts to ensure beautiful and tasteful presentation.
- Meeting with customers to discuss details and planning of custom-made desserts and pastries for special occasions, such as weddings.
- Monitoring the stock of baking ingredients.
- Ordering new supplies, ingredients, and equipment for the pastry section, when needed, and within budget.
- Ensuring their section of the kitchen adheres to safety and health regulations.
- Supervising and training staff members, when needed.
- Be conversant with HCCP and first Aid basic knowledge.
- Develop and maintain updated operations manuals for all food production and stewarding sections and make recipes and maintain up- dated and accurate costing of all pastry dishes.
- Decorating pastries using different icings, toppings etc. to ensure the presentation will be beautiful and exciting.
Key Requirements for the Job
- Strong communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- In depth knowledge of sanitation principles, food preparation and nutrition.
- Creative ability with artistic skills in decorating cakes and other desserts.
- Able team player with the ability to create enabling work environment.
- Strong knowledge in menu planning.
Key Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in Food Production, pastry
- Certificate in culinary arts, pastry- making, or relevant field with at least three years’ experience,
- At least 3 years’ experience in a busy kitchen in pastry section.
- Minimum Age 22 years.
- KCSE Certificate.
- Must be declared medically fit by a Club appointed Medical Practitioner.
Interested candidate who meet the above criteria should submit a detailed CV; copies of relevant certificates / testimonials, national Identity card/passport and Application/ cover letter.
Please forward your application for the above post, to our email firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 30th April, 2023